Reading Public Library

Board Meeting Minutes

Date: May 1, 2018

Meeting commenced: 6:05

 

Present: Tony Pikramenos, Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Janet Malcolm, Steven D’Agostino

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Heather.

Secretarys report: No new report

Treasurers report: A question was brought up regarding the maintenance and grounds line items for March both amounting to 234.62. Will ask Bill to investigate this to be sure this is correct.

Librarians report: No word from Cathy regarding summer reading and library visits for RES students. Patrons are continuing to utilize the seed catalogue. Twenty-one people attended game night at the library on April 27. While game nights are indoors at the library, the library and rec committee will co-sponsor these nights. The warmer months when game nights are outdoors will be sponsored by rec committee only. The next game night is May 18 6:30-8. Twenty people came to May Day which was a great morning. Thank you Libbet for the snacks and tea and Vanessa for the craft. Two people came to stitching circle on April 24 at 10:30 am. Tony and Libbet will pick a date to do the next stitching circle on a Saturday morning in hopes more people can attend. Twenty people attended the sing-a-long on March 30 and the next sing-a-long will be on May 19th 6:30-8pm. Aging in place, Rec committee, and Green Space committee have all utilized the library to meet. The courier is up and running. To cut down on costs, patrons will be charged 25 cents for each black and white copy over three pages and 50 cents for each color copy over one page.

Unfinished business:

  • Maintenance- Bill will look into getting the sidewalk and steps repaired this season. Heather will clean out lavender bushes and Tony will trim lavender.
  • New officers voted in – Vanessa nominated Janet Malcolm for secretary, second by Libbet, unanimous yes vote. Libbet nominated Bill Bakker for treasurer, second by Vanessa, unanimous yes vote. Libbet nominated Vanessa Maxham for chair, second by Heather, unanimous yes vote.

New business: Steven D’Agostino is visiting tonight requesting the library board to consider opening from 5-7 pm on the first Friday of the month in June and August (June 1 and August 3). Steven suggested having cookies and lemonade at the library. Other events happening on these first Fridays include the Historical Society hosting an event at the museum, “Vermont history through song”, the Hall art foundation open for free self-guided tours and gourmet pizza truck. Steven is also asking Scott at the Greenhouse so stay open until 7 pm. Someone from the library board agreed to open the library from 5-7pm on June 1 and August 3.

Steven also asked for events happening at the library that can be included in the add marketing Reading in the VT Standard. May 8th is the deadline to submit this info to the standard and the paper is to be published on May 24th. Tony will get the dates and event info to Steven.

Summary of decisions: Bill to look into getting sidewalks and steps at library fixed. Lavender to be cleaned out and trimmed by Heather and Tony. Tony will get dates to Steven for publication in the VT Standard

 

Meeting Adjourned: 7:08

Date of next meeting: May 29, 2018

 

 

 

Share