Board of Trustees Meeting
February 3, 2015
(January 27th meeting cancelled due to inclement weather)
In attendance: Libbet Downs, Peter Seman, Vanessa Maxham, Tony Pikramenos, Milde Waterfall
Minutes submitted by Milde Waterfall
Meeting called to order at 6:00pm
Minutes approved from last meeting
- Thank you notes up to date on Appeal Letter.
- Thank you note to Patricia Sierra for her generous gift of two kindles
- A summary of monthly and yearly expenses was presented with general discussion. All is in order.
- The book club reading Proust has begun. The evening book club is reading I Am Malala.
- The Vermont Movie series starts this Friday.
- We sent home Library cards to all elementary students who responded.
- Librarian spoke with students about the Dorothy Canfield Fisher and Red Clover programs.
- The Pre-school and their teacher came to the library to look at the books and enjoy the Librarian reading one. We received lovely individual thank you notes.
- The building has been cleaned twice and two rugs were purchased for protection of the newly refinished floor.
- Paul Brosseau from the Vermont Offender Work Program dropped by on January 6 with an invoice for previous rental materials and indicated that the final work will be done the last two weeks in May. This makes the work on the base of the columns to be completed by May 15th. We will contact Garret Mulder regarding the time requirement. The VOWP will pay for damages done during work in Library.
- The Appeal Letter donations are still coming in.
- The website is a work in progress.
- Libbet reported that Hazel King has been working with a group at the Thompson Senior Center in Woodstock writing Memoirs. The group has a compilation of their memoirs they would like to offer for sale at the Reading Public Library. The Board approved the effort and tasked Libbet with getting details regarding the process of selling from Hazel. The Board requested that only checks or exact amount be accepted and that Tony would alert Hazel when books had been sold.
- Libbet reported enthusiasm at RES (Reading Elementary School) regarding the books presented by the Librarian to the fifth and sixth grades.
- Tony and Milde presented the first three “Reading Has Legs” to go on display this month in the Library. The contributors selected for the first display were Esther Allen, Libbet Downs, and Sharon and Lydia Harkins.
- Milde has a candidate for the fifth trustee whom she will nominate at Town Meeting. Tony will check for Town Meeting procedures regarding the Board of Trustees.
- The Board approved the purchase of a camera to be used to capture Library Activities for a bulletin board. Tony and Milde will research cameras to purchase.
Meeting adjourned at 6:55pm.
Next meeting: February 24, 2015