Meeting Minutes, May 2019

Reading Public Library

Board Meeting Minutes

 

Date: May 28, 2019

Meeting commenced: 6:05

Present: Tony Pikramenos, Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Janet Malcolm, Bill Bakker

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Janet, second by Libbet.

Secretarys report: Thank you note sent to Darci for providing snacks during story times. Thank you card to be sent out to Jane Philpin for donation of a gorgeous wooden bocce ball set; also a half dozen card games. Thank you card to be sent to Maryann Allcroft for donation of 10 books, 30 movie DVD’s, and 15 watercolor paintings by Evelyn Mildner. Thank you card to be sent to

Westminster crackers for donation of oyster crackers.

Treasurers report: End of the fiscal year numbers being finalized. Tony will be ordering new children’s books. Bill will contact family member of Glibert A. Davis regarding the Gilbert A. Davis trust fund to inquire about an annual report. Bill motions to approve Harkins boys for library lawn service for $28 per mowing. Libbet seconds and unanimous yes.

Librarians report: Herb garden planted by Libbet, Heather and Tony.

Comic book club met on May 25th and will meet again one Saturday in June and August

Unfinished business: None

New business: None

Summary of decisions: Bill will look into Gilbert A. Davis. Tony and Bill working on end of the fiscal year numbers. Harkins boys will be doing lawn care for library.

Items for next month: Talk about expanding Tony’s hours for courier service so he won’t need to submit each month.

Computer table needs maintenance

Meeting Adjourned: 6:52

Date of next meeting: June 25, 2019

 

 

 

Meeting Minutes, October 2018

Reading Public Library Board Meeting Minutes

Date: October 23, 2018

Meeting commenced: 6:30 after signing fundraising letters.

Present: Vanessa Maxham, Heather Evans, Bill Bakker, Janet Malcolm, Tony Pikramenos

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Heather

Secretarys report: The appeal letters are signed and will be dropped off tomorrow at Quality Mailing House in Claremont. Janet spoke with Dale and they are all set to receive letters.

Treasurers report: Provided the board with updated monthly numbers for the budget.

Librarians report:

  • Make a Plate was a great success with lots of attendance!
  • Becca White will come to library November 8th at 6 pm for a solar and home energy savings program with Q and A.
  • 31 RES student’s pumpkin carving with Lisa Kaija.
  • Waiting on Irving to come to check fireplace.
  • Maintenance- Mike Barr is retiring after years of snow removal service for the library. David Carbee has given a quote the same price as  Mike Barr. Vanessa motioned to hire David Carbee for snow removal, Heather second. Unanimous vote yes by board.
  • Thank you notes to be sent to Jean Goldsborough for donating printer and scanner and Mike Barr for years of snow removal.
  • Thursday Oct. 25, Tony will be away all day for annual Catamount conference. Library will be closed and Tony will be reimbursed for mileage and time.

New Business: no new business

Summary of decisions:

  • Tony will contact David Carbee for snow removal
  • Janet will drop appeal letters to be mailed to Quality Mailing House tomorrow.

Meeting Adjourned: 7:10

Date of next meeting: November 27, 2018.

 

 

Meeting Minutes, September 2018

Library Board Meeting Minutes
September 25, 2018

 

Attendees: Heather Evans, Vanessa Maxham, Bill Bakker, Tony Pikramenos, Esther Allen

  1. Call to order at 6:15 PM
  2. New business – Audit of library checkbook
    • Esther Allen reviewed the findings and recommendations for improved management and clarity of the library’s checkbook. The treasurer will work and making additional changes and improved recordkeeping in line with her recommendations
  3. Approve minutes from last meeting – Minutes approved by board
  4. Query for changes to the agenda – Except for moving New Business to the first item, there were no additional changes
  5. Secretary’s report – No report this evening
  6. Treasurer’s report
    • Treasurer reviewed the current expenses and budget for FY19
    • Sidewalk repair has been completed. The board approved the use of library checkbook funds to pay for the maintenance
  7. Librarian’s report
    • Soffit repairs have been completed
    • Snow plowing – Our current person has retired, so we are searching for a new person
    • Game night on Sept 21 was a success. Next game night will be in October
    • Upcoming programs
      1. Sept 26 – Herb program with RES K-1
      2. Oct 20 – Make a Plate
  • Oct 31 – Pumpkin carving
  1. Becca White solar information program sometime in the fall
  • Several new books have been recently purchased
  • Vanessa has created a list of the names and dates of service for all the town‘s librarians. We are considering how best to display and recognize all our librarians
  • Annual appeal letter is being created and will go out after the next board meeting
  1. New business Next board meeting date
    • The board approved a change in the next meeting date to Oct 23 (one week earlier) to allow annual appeal letters to go out earlier
  2. Summary of decisions – Bill reviewed all decisions and action items
  3. Adjourn at 7:45 PM

Meeting Minutes, August 2018

Reading Public Library Board Meeting Minutes 

Date: August 28, 2018

Meeting commenced:  6:11

Present:  Vanessa Maxham, Heather Evans, Libbet Downs, Tony Pikramenos.

 

Minutes from the last two meetings (July 18 and August 16 – Special Meeting): Motion to approve by Heather, seconded by Libbet.

Secretary’s Report: no new report.

Treasurer’s Report: treasurer was not present.  Question of clarification on what line the courier fees are located in the budget.

Librarian’s Report:  Because the fiber connection did not reach as far as Puddledock Park, a new network was created using Comcast modem and router.  The new network is called Puddledock Park.  Thank yous go to Jane Philpin for lending her finger labyrinths for the past year, and to JD Cross for watering the herb and flower garden.

Discussion about a fall project with the K-1 class from RES with the assistance of Lisa Kaija.

The Rec Commission and the Library are hosting an indoor game night on September 21.

The Library will hold a Make-a-Plate workshop from 10-2 on October 20.

Pumpkin carving and decorating will happen the week of Halloween.

Unfinished Business:  Dave Appleton pruned and fertilized the apple tree in the front yard.  The sidewalk and step cement repairs have been started.  Discussion on the questions of repairing the sofit that has been damaged by woodpecker holes.  James Brower gave an estimate of $390 to do the repairs.  Vanessa made a motion to proceed with hiring him.  Libbet seconded. Motion to hire Brower passed.

Summary of Decisions: Tony will contact Lisa Kaija about K-1 project ideas.  Tony will go forward with hiring James Brower to make the repairs on the soffit.

Meeting adjourned: 7:11

Date of next meeting: September 25, 2018

Minutes respectfully submitted by Libbet Downs, Library Board Member.

 

Special Meeting Minutes, August 16, 2018

Reading Public Library

Board of Trustees Special Meeting Minutes

August 16th, 2018

Called to order: 10:06am.

In Attendance: Tony Pikramenos, Heather Evans, Bill Bakker, Libbet Downs, Vanessa Maxham

Maintenance Issues:

  • Dave Appleton came and examined the crab apple tree out front and determined that it wasn’t dying but needed some TLC; he could do the work for $100. Libbet motioned for Dave to do the work and Bill seconded; all in favor; motion approved.
  • Mike Barr gave James Brower as a recommendation to fix the holes made from the birds in the library building soffit. James subsequently gave Mike an estimate for the work. We need more detailed information before we can decide. The board hopes to make a decision at the next meeting, which will be Aug. 28th.

Meeting adjourned 10:16am.

Respectfully submitted by: Vanessa Maxham, chair.

 

Meeting Minutes, July 2018

Reading Public Library Board Meeting Minutes

Date: July 31, 2018

Meeting commenced: 6:05

Present: Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Bill Baker, Janet Malcolm

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Heather

Secretarys report: No new report

Treasurers report: At the close of the fiscal year we are zeroed out for the year. The budget increased to $32,300. Vanessa and Bill are working on having Bill included on the checkbook.

Librarians report: Local groups including Wastewater, REC, and Green spaces, continue to meet at the library. Don Scullin is borrowing a projector and the historical society is borrowing a portable screen which the library is happy to lend out. Thank you note to Stephen D’agastino needs to be sent for baking cookies for the summer programs. Esther clarified with Tony the delayed donation check. The summer reading program was a sweet series despite the SOAK program most likely effecting attendance. Thanks to Bill, Janet and Heather for helping with snacks and crafts.

Unfinished Business:

-Maintenance- Mike Barr is not comfortable with repairing the bird nest area to the soffit due to the height. Tony is waiting to hear back from his nephews who possibly may be interested in repairing. Tony also reached out to David Appleton regarding the tree in the front yard and is waiting to hear back from him. Jason Dow to do sidewalk repair and Bill will follow up with him about doing this repair in August.

New Business:

-Random Art show to be held at library on August 3. Heather is collecting art and organizing and setting this up. Will most likely be indoors if it rains. Stephen is writing about the show in Thursday’s column.

Summary of decisions: Bill is following up with Jason Dow regarding sidewalk repair. Tony is waiting to hear back from David Appleton regarding tree and Mike Barr regarding his nephews repairing soffit. Random Art show is coming along for August 3!

Meeting Adjourned: 6:30

Date of next meeting: August 28, 2018

 

 

Meeting Minutes, June 2018

Reading Public Library Board Meeting Minutes

Date: June 26, 2018

Meeting commenced: 6:05

 

Present: Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Tony Pikramenos, Bill Baker, Janet Malcolm

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Janet.

Secretarys report: No new report.

Treasurers report: At the close of the fiscal year we are zeroed out for the year; the town approved increase in budget. Esther will do an audit for the last three fiscal years since we had a change of treasurers from Peter Seman to Bill Baker.

Librarians report: Seed library going well with lots of good feedback from patrons. Herb garden growing well and looks great. Heather and Tony are watering.  Mason is doing a great job of mowing. The tree is not doing well in front of the library and Tony will call Dave Appleton to look at it. Tony brought flowers and a handmade card from Sophie Evans to Mary Ann to thank her for her years of service. She was very grateful. Thank you cards need to be sent out for Deb Macia for toy box and rocker; Nanci, the photographer, who gave Tony files of restoration work, and an early donation for $100 from Bob and Esther Allen. Janet will meet with Tony on Thursday to go over the thank you note template. Woodpeckers made several holes in library. Mike Barr is planning on repairing. Summer program on Thursdays in July are all set.  Tony is asking the library officers to volunteer to help with the craft and provide the snack. The volunteers are: Bill on July 5, Janet on July 12, and Heather on July 26. Vanessa and Libbet are checking if they can cover the other date.

Unfinished Business: Maintenance- Bill motions to accept the estimate from Jason Dow to repair sidewalk in July. Libbet seconds and unanimous vote yes.

New Business: July 6 Stephen D’Agostino will open library from 5-7 for first Friday on 6/29. Plan is for August first Friday to have art exhibit at the library and have library open. Vanessa and Heather are working on this.

Summary of decisions: Mike Barr is planning on repairing the woodpecker damage to library. Bill will follow up with Jason Dow regarding sidewalk repair. Steven will open library from 5-7 on 6/29.

Meeting Adjourned: 7:02

Date of next meeting: July 31, 2018

 

 

Meeting Minutes, May 2018

Reading Public Library

Board Meeting Minutes

Date: May 29, 2018

 

Meeting commenced: 6:02 PM

Present: Tony Pikramenos, Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Bill Bakker

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Bill

Secretarys report: No new report

Treasurers report: Bill and Tony will be meeting in early June to discuss the money remaining for the year. There should be enough money left for new books or supplies.

Librarians report:

  • There are lots of community groups who are using the library for meeting space, so new dry erase calendars are being used to track and manage the schedule.
  • No word from Cathy regarding summer reading and library visits for RES students.
  • Patrons are continuing to utilize the seed catalogue.
  • Reading Recreation Commission Game Nights are now outside, though the library will continue to be used if the weather is bad.
  • The picnic tables are in Puddledock Park and Bill will contact the Reading Greenspaces Committee to have the $175 check made out to support them.
  • Maryanne will no longer be volunteering at the library. The library will be giving her a bouquet of flowers as a thank you for all her years of service.
  • Upcoming programs – Sing-a-long May 8, Stitching Circle May 9, “Libraries Rock” summer programs – Thursdays in July.

Unfinished business:

  • Maintenance- Bill continues to look for someone to do the sidewalk repair. Mike Barr will need to be contacted to see if he can repair a hole that woodpeckers have created.

New business:

  • Vanessa will contact Calista regarding Tony’s wage increase, effective July 1
  • Herb garden – With the removal of the dead lavender plants, we discussed creating a community herb garden, including chives, oregano, rosemary, and other herbs better suited to our climate. The board will meet with Tony in June to do the plantings.

Summary of decisions: Bill to look into getting sidewalks and steps at library fixed. Bill to contact Greenspaces regarding check for tables. Bill will call Mike Barr about woodpecker hole. The Board will work with Tony on the herb garden 

Meeting Adjourned: 7:00

Date of next meeting: June 26, 2018

 

 

 

Meeting Minutes, April 2018

Reading Public Library

Board Meeting Minutes

Date: May 1, 2018

Meeting commenced: 6:05

 

Present: Tony Pikramenos, Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Janet Malcolm, Steven D’Agostino

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Heather.

Secretarys report: No new report

Treasurers report: A question was brought up regarding the maintenance and grounds line items for March both amounting to 234.62. Will ask Bill to investigate this to be sure this is correct.

Librarians report: No word from Cathy regarding summer reading and library visits for RES students. Patrons are continuing to utilize the seed catalogue. Twenty-one people attended game night at the library on April 27. While game nights are indoors at the library, the library and rec committee will co-sponsor these nights. The warmer months when game nights are outdoors will be sponsored by rec committee only. The next game night is May 18 6:30-8. Twenty people came to May Day which was a great morning. Thank you Libbet for the snacks and tea and Vanessa for the craft. Two people came to stitching circle on April 24 at 10:30 am. Tony and Libbet will pick a date to do the next stitching circle on a Saturday morning in hopes more people can attend. Twenty people attended the sing-a-long on March 30 and the next sing-a-long will be on May 19th 6:30-8pm. Aging in place, Rec committee, and Green Space committee have all utilized the library to meet. The courier is up and running. To cut down on costs, patrons will be charged 25 cents for each black and white copy over three pages and 50 cents for each color copy over one page.

Unfinished business:

  • Maintenance- Bill will look into getting the sidewalk and steps repaired this season. Heather will clean out lavender bushes and Tony will trim lavender.
  • New officers voted in – Vanessa nominated Janet Malcolm for secretary, second by Libbet, unanimous yes vote. Libbet nominated Bill Bakker for treasurer, second by Vanessa, unanimous yes vote. Libbet nominated Vanessa Maxham for chair, second by Heather, unanimous yes vote.

New business: Steven D’Agostino is visiting tonight requesting the library board to consider opening from 5-7 pm on the first Friday of the month in June and August (June 1 and August 3). Steven suggested having cookies and lemonade at the library. Other events happening on these first Fridays include the Historical Society hosting an event at the museum, “Vermont history through song”, the Hall art foundation open for free self-guided tours and gourmet pizza truck. Steven is also asking Scott at the Greenhouse so stay open until 7 pm. Someone from the library board agreed to open the library from 5-7pm on June 1 and August 3.

Steven also asked for events happening at the library that can be included in the add marketing Reading in the VT Standard. May 8th is the deadline to submit this info to the standard and the paper is to be published on May 24th. Tony will get the dates and event info to Steven.

Summary of decisions: Bill to look into getting sidewalks and steps at library fixed. Lavender to be cleaned out and trimmed by Heather and Tony. Tony will get dates to Steven for publication in the VT Standard

 

Meeting Adjourned: 7:08

Date of next meeting: May 29, 2018

 

 

 

Meeting Minutes, March 2018

Reading Public Library

Board Meeting Minutes

Date: March 27, 2018

Meeting commenced: 6:05

Present: Tony Pikramenos, Vanessa Maxham, Libbet Downs, Heather Evans, Janet Malcolm

Minutes from last meeting: Motion to approve by Vanessa, second by Heather.

Secretarys report: No new report

Treasurers report: Currently on track with budget

Librarians report: Tony is happy with the building being used for several groups in town (WRAP, Rec, Village Center Committee, Green Space Committee). Libbet and Tony met with Principal Cathy Knight regarding summer reading plan for RES students as well as a visit to the library before school is out. They are waiting to hear back from Cathy. Game night was a success and the next one will be April 27th 6:30-8pm. The library is hosting a sing-a-long March 30th 6:30 pm-8pm. Tony is working on putting together mindfulness programs. “May Day” scheduled for April 28th at 10:30am. The seed catalogue is up and running and several packets have been checked out. There will be a write up about the seed catalogue in the editorial section of the Vermont Standard. Tony will be on vacation 4/14, 4/17, 4/19, 4/21, 4/24, 4/26 and is looking for volunteers to open the library.

Unfinished business: Peter Seman gave his letter of resignation to Vanessa. Minnie Fay display is up! Regarding the courier, Tony spoke with Hartland librarian about joining their service and he is waiting on approval from Hartland’s board members at their next meeting. The amount the library will pay is within the budget.

New business: Purchasing good quality picnic tables was discussed at the latest Green Space meeting. Tony got quotes from a commercial supplier, from the Carriage Shed in WRJ, and from Home Depot. Ann Rubright got a quote from a local retired builder she knows. The hope is that some of the town organizations, including the library, can contribute towards this purchase. Libbet motioned for the library to donate $175 towards this purchase. Second by Vanessa. Motion passed.

Summary of decisions: May Day date April 28th. Library to donate $175 towards picnic table for green space. Waiting for Hartland to approve Reading library to be on their courier service.

Meeting Adjourned: 7:05

Date of next meeting: May 1, 2018